Two militants surrender in Pulwama encounter


One found injured, shifted to police hospital; Two AK riffles recovered from surrendered militants; IGP Kashmir urges ‘misguided’ youth to shun violence, says will accept them with open arms

PULWAMA: Two militants, who were trapped in an encounter at Batpora, Lelhara village of Kakapora belt in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district surrendered before forces, officials said on Saturday.

They said one of the militant who surrender was found injured and immediately shifted to police hospital Srinagar for treatment where his condition is stated as stable.

The officials told news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), that the militants surrendered along with two AK 47 rifles.

“#LelharEncounterUpdate: Both #terrorists #surrendered along with 02 AK 47 rifles before senior officers of police & SFs. One #terrorist who was injured in #encounter has been shifted to hospital for medical treatment,” Kashmir zone police wrote on its official twitter handle.

A senior police officer told news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO) that both militants are locals and they surrendered after hectic efforts of police, army, CRPF and their parents.

Earlier, an official said that a joint team of Police, Army’s 50 RR and CRPF launched a Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) on specific information about the presence of militants in the area.

He said that as the joint team of forces approached towards the suspected spot, the hiding militants fired upon them, which was retaliated, triggering an encounter.

It is pertinent to mention here that yesterday afternoon three local militants were killed in brief encounter at Mandoora area of Tral in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district. As a precautionary measure internet services have been snapped in entire Pulwama district.

Meanwhile, a police spokesman said that based on a specific input regarding presence of militants  in village Lelhar, Kakapora area of Pulwama, a joint cordon and search operation was launched by Police, 50RR and 183Bn CRPF in the area.

“During the search operation as the presence of militants got ascertained, they fired indiscriminately upon the search party which was retaliated leading to encounter. However, the joint forces showed utmost restraint and provided them an opportunity to surrender. Family members of the trapped militants were also called to the encounter site to motivate and persuade them to surrender,” the statement said.

“Due to the great efforts and utmost patience of police, security forces and repeated surrender appeals with the help of their family members both the militants ultimately surrendered and laid down their arms before the joint security forces.”

The police statement further said the two militants who surrender were identified as Akeel Ahmad Lone son of Muhammad Abdullah, resident of Lelhar and Rouf Ahmad son of Gh Qadir Sheikh, a resident of Wasoora, Pulwama. “Both the militants were affiliated with Hizb outfit During initial exchange of fire, one of the militants, Akeel Ahmad Lone got injured who was evacuated to hospital for treatment,” the police spokesman said.

IGP Kashmir Vijay Kumar congratulated the joint team of police and security forces for showing utmost patience and exhibiting professionalism, which resulted in saving the life of two “misguided youth.”  “IGP Kashmir once again makes a fervent appeal to all misguided youth who have joined militant ranks to shun the path of violence and return to mainstream as the society needs them and most importantly their parents. We will welcome and accept them with open arms,” the police spokesman said.

He said arms and ammunition including 01 AK-47 and 01 AK-56 rifles laid down by the two surrendered militants were seized. The IGP Kashmir also tweeted asking misguided youth to return. He wrote: “A fervent #appeal to all #misguided youth who have joined # militancy, to #return their homes. We will accept you with open arms. Society needs you and most #importantly your #parents. So return and start your new life.”