Gadchiroli: At least 16 persons, including 15 security personnel, were killed in an improvised explosive device (IED) blast triggered by Maoists in Maharashtra’s Gadchiroli district on May 1, police said.
The blast followed the Maoists torching 25 vehicles belonging to a road construction contractor earlier in the day, police said.
Those killed were members of the Quick Response Team (QRT) of Gadchiroli Police, which was on its way to inspect the torched vehicles, an official said.
The blast took place as the vehicle reached Lendhari nallah in Kurkheda area, the official said.
Police teams are reaching the spot for evacuation operation, he said.
Attack not due to intelligence failure: DGP
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Director General of Police Subodh Kumar Jaiswal said that the Naxal attack was not a result of intelligence failure.
Terming it a “big loss” for the force, Mr. Jaiswal said that police “were ready to give a befitting reply to the Naxals”.
“I cannot call this an intelligence failure… The Maharashtra Police will take whatever action is needed against such activities. It is a big loss for the Maharashtra Police,” Mr. Jaiswal said.
The Naxals want to overthrow the State, he added.
Perpetrators will not be spared: Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi strongly condemned the Naxal attack on security personnel, saying perpetrators of such violence will not be spared.
“Strongly condemn the despicable attack on our security personnel in Gadchiroli, Maharashtra. I salute all the brave personnel. Their sacrifices will never be forgotten,” he tweeted.
“My thoughts & solidarity are with the bereaved families. The perpetrators of such violence will not be spared,” the Prime Minister said in his tweet.